History of The Edwinola
The original three-story building — a picture of gracious Southern architecture, with its Doric columns, wrap-around porches and a Mansard roof — was built in 1912 as a hotel. The name came from blending the first names of owners Edwin and Lola Gasque.
The Edwinola stood within sight of the Seaboard Railroad station, making it a favorite stop for traveling salesmen and other visitors. The hotel ran a Model T shuttle service to the train depot.
After World War II, however, the Edwinola faced competition from newer hotels. The storied building became a residence for the Gasque family in the 1950s and 1960s.
Then in 1975, the Edwinola was purchased and renovated into a distinctive dining establishment. In the 1980s the building became a retirement home, and the eight-story tower was added.